I had SO MANY EPIPHANIES tonight over dinner with my 2 cousins but I'll just discuss one with you today. (Maybe another post).
So as some of you know, the name of my degree is, Chinese Studies with Business Management.
Now when I chose this degree, I thought it was the most GENIUS THING EVER.
Like, the most perfect and most tailor made degree for me.
To be honest, I even thought for ANYONE.
I mean c'mon ... China economy booming ... business ... striking it rich ... what else do you want?
And when I told my parents my decision, I thought that they were going to be so proud of me.
I was wrong.
Being Asian, to them, anything besides being a doctor, pharmacist, dentist or whatever, is useless.
I was so mad that they couldn't just GET OVER THAT IDEOLOGY.
And this thing continues to shock me as people ALWAYS ask me,
"Why did you choose this course?"
And it's UNBELIEVABLE TO ME, in my eyes that they can't see THE OBVIOUS REASON.
Booming economy blah blah blah right?
So tonight over dinner, one of my cousins asked me THAT question.
I replied honestly, "Because I AM Chinese, I feel really disgraceful that I can't read and write my own language. And also, I would feel even MORE disgraceful if I had kids and I couldn't even teach THEM how to read/write/speak Chinese."
This reason, comes BEFORE the 'striking it rich' reason. That is the truth.
My cousin replied,
"Wow ... so the choice of your degree is based on your children?"
No one has ever reacted to my answer like that but I was so stunned.
I was like ... Oh my gosh ... Yes. Yes it is. I never realised that before.
My other cousin replied,
"Yeah sis, didn't you know a lot of people do that? EG. That's why some people want to be teachers - because then they'll have the same holidays and working times as their kids."
That was ONE epiphany tonight.
Another thing I realised tonight that I'll just briefly touch upon, is that EVERYBODY'S goal in life is SO different.
I know that's kinda stating the obvious but I used to think that everybody generally just wants to have a house, have a good job, travel a bit ETC.
From just talking to my cousins tonight, I realised that was so not the case.
One of them, her goal is literally to just travel the world.
Now I know people who LIKE to travel but it's not their life goal.
She doesn't even CARE if she doesn't have a house.
Wah the fuhhh? Seriously?
ME.
This is what I want.
If in the future, I have a house (like the house from Korean drama Full House), am married, have enough money to buy my parents a flat in Hong Kong so that they can retire there, am living comfortably, am able to go on holidays every now and again, I will be SO happy.
[ Remember that amazing spiral staircase from Full House? ]
So what were YOUR reasons for choosing the degree or subject you're doing?
Or NOT doing, if you didn't continue studies and decided to jump straight into the working world?
And what is your goal in life?
Is yours as simple as mine? Just getting a house? Or much more complicated?
2 comments:
i wanna get into psychiatry and i have NO idea why...the way people think and mental illnesses just interest me a lot...IS THAT WEIRD o.o
I'm getting into design :D Mainly because I love art in any form and I couldn't imagine doing anythig else (although being a food critic sounds appealing), but also because its a field thats constantly changing, so I'll never be bored. :)
Post a Comment