Tuesday, 25 August 2009

后会有期 *Meaning: We'll meet again =]*

So this is my final day in the UK.
I'm looking at my fully packed suitcase right now and thinking .. wow .. that's all my life in there ahaha.

I've just come home from visiting my brother's grave with dad for the final time in a year.
Also went yesterday with mum.
I hope you guys don't find this creepy but when I visit my bro's grave, ... I talk to him.
Yesterday I said to Andy,
"I'm going to China soon ... the thing that YOU were suppose to do.
... Can you ask God to take care of me please?"

I think only Ralph and Stephen know the details but yeah before Andy died, the plan was for HIM to go to China for a year.
I don't think I'm carrying out my bro's dream or anything ... I just find it a funny coincidence lol.
I do hope he's proud of me though =)

As big headed as this sounds, I feel REALLY accomplished doing this whole year abroad thing.
I mean, I realise that I'm nearly 20 and not exactly a kid.
But the thought of leaving my parent's care, flying to the other side of the world for a year, throwing myself into this TOTALLY different culture, I find VERY daring.
I mean, I could go to America but that's an English speaking country anyway with fairly similar cultures ... white.
But this is CHINA. The cat and dog eating country. The country that still uses crouching toilets in the ground!

On Sunday, my friend Shaz (hi .. I know you're reading this, and yes I loved the banner), threw a farewell party for some of us.
Before the party, I didn't feel like I was going anywhere .. and that's the reason why I didn't start packing until yesterday ahaha.
And when I saw the house full of people, I was almost tearing up when I realised that I'm not going to see my church family for a year and now I have to make new friends (such a hassle) =(
I don't care what any of you say, but MY CHURCH FAMILY IS BETTER THAN YOURS.

I must say, I am very excited now ... but for the tiny things though ... like seeing my hotel room, starting lessons, getting new textbooks, buying new stationary and getting stares from people on the streets because:
1. I'm going to be a giant - everyone will be a 1 foot below me.
2. Everyone bleaches their skin so I'm going to look so black compared to them.
3. I'm considered fat out there.

Until next time guys - prayers are appreciated ahaha.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping I can go to China next year. I study Chinese in Uni. I just have to get that scholarship first and I'll be off for six months.

I hope you'll be able to adjust to the culture and that you'll have fun! Oh, and also that they don't stare at you too much! That can be so annoying!

amanda lin said...

I was in china for the summer and heads up about those crotch toilets, don't keep anything in your back pocket when you use them...

RIP, my ipod.

(not sure if you'll see this since blogspot was still blocked when i left)

leah said...

oh everyone in China must be my height then hahaha

and that's not creepy at all that you talk to your brother. it's cute. I'm sure he thinks so too :]

hope you have fun over there Garbs <3

hahamysocks said...

Awww I guess you're leaving in less than 24 hours. Aren't you excited?! I know when I was going to Cali the thought process didn't kick in until I was waving to my family behind the security gate.
Have fun (I already you you're going to). Be safe! If anyone tries to steal you, scream really loud okay?

Haha your comparission made me laugh. But hey, Yao Ming is Chinese and he's huge! You'd be suprised how taller these asian kids are getting... and I totally agree with you on the skin thing. Couple of my friends went to Korea this summer and said the everyone was pale as ghosts, and they wanted to be. It was really weird...

AH! This post is too long. BYE!!!<3

hahamysocks said...

Oh yeah. message me, email, or what your address where you'll be staying!

Sophie said...

is facebook blocked over there D: what's NOT blocked over there? omg i never see you as it is and now you have to migrate to the motherland :(

have a fabulous time!!!!!!

RnB said...

"I'm considered fat out there". Those words are just about the funniest thing in this post. I don't think it's weird at all that you talk to your brother at his grave. People that pass away never really leave us, as long as they're remembered. I lost a dear, younger cousin last year in July of '08 and all of us cousins accept that she's passed but we still talk about her as if she's still here. Maybe we're strange.

I think that China is probably likely a lot different than the impression and cliches presented in the West. I'm sure there's probably also a difference between what's really held in value socially, morally, and what's said to be important socially, morally etc.

I bet you'll have a great time and this response is going nowhere fast. Have a great time in China

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time in China, Garbo. Stay safe and have fun! I wish you the best of luck over there. Love from the States <3

Maggie

Dara said...

The day you wrote this was my birthday =], ralph is older than me by 6 days...how gay huh?