In my 3 years of YouTubing, I finally had my first major STALKER SCARE.
It was actually one of those moments where it felt appropriate to set up a restraining order like celebrities do.
Person of topic, who is from Lithuania, who will remain unnamed,
-- messaged me through YouTube, Dailybooth and Gmail extremely frequently, even when I gave no response. Messages were often annoying, unhelpful, desperate and creepy.
-- searched and found my home address on the internet and described my house and it's surroundings accurately. (Darn internet phonebooks -- there's no more privacy in this world!)
-- finally, searched and found my HOME PHONE NUMBER and called 3 times. Each time my parents picked up which then of course resulted in me having to explain to them who he was and making them worry!
During one of the calls, he even explained to my mum that he was calling from abroad, which led my mum to assume that he was a friend I was going to be visiting in America, so she gave him my MOBILE PHONE NUMBER! Thank goodness he apparently didn't write it down.
Some will say that this is my fault for broadcasting myself over the internet.
Well, yes, I am a frequently viewed figure on YouTube but I see nothing wrong with that.
The details I put on my social network sites are VERY limited.
I only add people I know. I reject more friend requests than accept. I'm just sayin.
I never list phone numbers, postal addresses or even my main e-mail address and Skype/Aim screennames.
I really don't believe I brought this upon myself. It's only made me realise that you can search almost anything on ANYBODY over the internet today.
Everything is okay now. I forced boyfriend Ralph to defend my honour lol.
8 comments:
Yo miss universe is on. Well you'd probably have to watch it online. Just saying...
I do agree that he went a bit overboard an crossed the line, but there are creepy people on the internet. Just be cognizant of what you put out there. I'm sure it wasn't too hard to find your house, I mean your username is your last name, you tell people your hometown, your college, etc.
I think that's why I draw such a fine line of what I say out on the web, add people on fb, give out email addy. I mean I'm freaking paranoid that I don't even tell anyone where I'm from, let alone the state I live in.
Just be careful.
i have a stalker....but she's a kid from my school in year 6. she messages me on fb every day and waits near the library every day after school so she can watch me walk past o___o but that's kinda irrelevant LOL
but i have had a youtuber message me saying she knows my last name and knows what school i go to which freaked me out, but nothing happened (that i know of so far...) thankfully
Simon Ddonq, what's your REAL last name?
who is this simon ddonq you speak of?
K, forget I asked. ;)
You say 'finally' like it's something you've been waiting for.
Nevertheless, you broadcast yourself over the internet, expect things like this. I'm not condoning what this guy was doing, nor am I saying that you deserved it. All I'm saying is that if you parade yourself around the internet, things like this are bound to happen.
@Anonymous on 31 August
Hater!
Post a Comment